Friday, April 13, 2007

King Frost Carnival - 1914 (e)

We've now moved over to Washington Street. And I realize that none of these buildings existed anymore by the time I came to know Washington Street. Yet, this just has the "feel" of being taken slightly beyond the Gerber's house (and from across the street), looking back down toward Grammy & Grandpa Ludwig's house.

Its interesting that the street itself is unpaved, with no curb.

So who is the group in the foreground? Well, they're all carrying bouquets of flowers (while the next group isn't); they're all ...um... elderly; and most of them (but not all) are ...um... portly.

So my guess is that these are verterans of the Civil War. If they were in their 20's when they fought in the 1860's, they'd be in their 70's in 1914. Just my guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think quite a few of these buidings still exist. First one on the right looks different now. But row houses that start after that I believe are the same (except no porches here) with Gerber's as the first in the row down to Shollenbergers at the end. The next two have roof lines like 232 and 234 and I think the porch roofs are there. Beyond that are the row homes starting at 236 and these look like porches are on. Only thing that baffles me is the lack of a grade up to the railroad where the photographer is standing. You can see the back of a railroad sign on the left. Maybe it's just the angle. mick.........

terry said...

Heh heh. Do you find yourself spending a lot of time looking at the backgrounds and other "trivial" details in these pics? I know I do.

I look at people's shoes and socks. I look at the street curbs (or lack thereof). I look at what they had on their porches; what the welcome mats were like; what pictures were hanging on the walls of a room. Stuff like that. Anything to get a "feel" for what life was like a hundred years ago.

OTOH, I completely missed that railroad sign until you pointed it out.