Wednesday, April 25, 2007

24. Grandpa

The last picture in this album. A self-portrait, or did Grammy take this pic? It was excellently done. Everything's in focus, and other than removing a couple "dust spots", I didn't need to do any enhancing.

The picture actually doesn't belong with the rest of these photos. We'll meet it again in the other old album - it was taken in 1909, and the location was listed as "Schuykill". I like the socks, the tie, and the starched shirt collar.

The photo album was only about 25% filled. I feel like Grandpa considered this a "set" of some kind. He put the 23 pics in an album, then added his "signature" with this last photo. The rest of the album was deliberately left empty.

Maybe it's intended to be a "The Best Of..." album. Or maybe it was meant to show the places he held dear to his heart. I wish he was here to tell us.

Next up - some pictures of the great "1942 Flood". I never thought I'd see those again. They are awe-inspiring. After that, it's 100+ pictures from another photo album of Grandpa's. A couple pictures in that book go back to 1907 - a full century. I have that album about 50% scanned. It's a labor of love, but it is a bit time-consuming.

No comments: