Wednesday, April 25, 2007

19. Bob & Hazel ( I think)

Ooo, this is a neat picture for so many reasons. I am presuming this is Hazel and Bob. This is the first pic that had no text by Grandpa; that will be true for the rest of this album.

First of all, this gives a glimpse of what toys were like in the 1910's. The crane seems to be made from (what we called when I was a kid) an Erector Set. If so, that's a pretty spiffy creation. I sucked when it came to building things with our erector set. Which means I knew early on, that I wasn't destined to be an engineer.

I don't know if the funnel and pan to the right are part of the erector set or not. I do like the fact that Hazel is wielding a little wrench and is apparently building something. None of that chauvinistic bullcrap of "a woman's place is in the kitchen" in this household!

The box at the lower left is titled "spelling blocks". I remember having those also as a kid. It was much more fun to build things from thoem than from the erector set. I have no idea what the toy in the background, leaning against the wall, is.

Finally, I like all the nails in the sole of Hazel's shoe. There's no way she'd make it through airport security nowadays.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing 1915-16. I think the toys are neat too. The funnel thing looks like if you pour enough sand or something into it, it weighs down the thing beneath it and it lowers and maybe spills. Sounds messy though, would Grammy have allowed it? It may have been an earlier Christmas when they got the set of stone blocks. Remember them? I have them, and generations of kids have played with them. They were made in Germany, and bought at a toy store in Reading.
Janet

terry said...

i remember playing with those stone blocks at Grammy's. cheap entertainment - but they kept me occupied for many an afternoon.