Saturday, June 30, 2007

97.Sanitorium - 1914

Four ladies, at what probably is the opening of the Sanitorium (Sanitarium?) in 1914. Everyone's carrying umbrellas, so this is probably in the summer. I'm not sure what that contraption is on the right. A vent maybe?

I'm pretty sure that's Grammy 2nd from the left, even though it doesn't look like her. See the following photo. These are probably three of her friends. I think the woman to the (our) right of Grammy is a very close friend. I think she appears in Photos # 41, 39, and 10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a history of the Sani in my newspaper column, and I looked up Opening Day. It was Oct. 24 and 25, 1914. But this group could have gone out there at any time and looked around. The local people were fascinated with it. It brought a lot of good jobs to Hamburg, and was a very large, handsome group of buildings and spacious campus. Sanatorium and sanitarium mean practically the same thing - I looked them up. Everyone just called it the sani anyway. I don't know which was the official name. It is no longer either, so it's a moot point.
Janet