Saturday, June 16, 2007

80. 33 People @ the Reservoir

Woo hoo! 33 people to identify. I can find Grammy (sitting by the left wheel), and Hazel (in the carriage by the right wheel). There's Grandpa's 'drinking buddy' sitting by the tree to the right, and the GWAS four people to the right of him. That leaves only 29 others.

There's a second carriage in the background, so I'm wondering if this is how they all got to the Reservoir. They've unhitched the horses.

I wonder what you did with the horses when you went to an all-day picnic like this. Let them graze? Did you have to "pick up their droppings", like you do nowadays when you take your dog for a walk?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There were livery stables in town where you could hire carriages of various sizes. This might have been a Sunday School picnic, to have so many people. I guess you just let the droppings lie. They were good for whatever grew there, and people were certainly used to them. I have been know to run out in the street to where a horse left a calling card, with a trowel and bucket, and bring home the good stuff for my compost heap.
Janet