Saturday, May 02, 2009

Mick's Birthday - 1958

A neat picture to blow up and study the details. The windows in the building in the background have me puzzled. Is this 234, 232, or at Charlie & Hazel's house?
.
On the table we have the birthday cake, and I think a slice or two taken out of it. But where are those slices? Leaning on the knife are the two matches that were used to light the candles. Behind that is a rollerskate. I'm not quite sure what that is coming off the skate towards the cake.
.
The box on the left had me stumped for a while, but I now think it's the matchbox.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry, Thanks again for posting all these pictures; it is so neat to reminisce.
This is under the grape arbor behind 234 looking south towards the 'shop'. Those windows are the north facing windows on the shop that were above the workbench. I remember that there was a doorbell type buzzer in the shop and a button inside the house. I don't remember this 3rd birthday party but I love the picture.

mick...........

terry said...

you know, if i "put myself" in the 234 shop, i can see those windows that look out onto the back of the house. Grandpa's main workbench was under those windows.

but until these pics, if i "put myself" outside looking at the shop, i didn't remember those windows.

Anonymous said...

That rollerskate is unexplained. None of my boys would have been on skates then yet, and I doubt if Bill skated down. OK then, it had to be Grammy's ! Wasn't that a neat workshop? I loved to go in there. It was built around 1947 or 48 I think, when he was about to retire. (Which I'm guessing was about 1948.) They sold the bungalow around that time too. He'd had a workshop on the 2nd floor of the garage at the bungalow, so all his tools were moved to Hamburg. Janet